March 08, 2006

Why is there no scent of Paris?

Yesterday Daca and I wanted to chat (and no, Natka I don't feel guilty of not picking up the phone;)) so we needed a place (with central heating and a toilet) which had to be near;)
So we chose a new cafe in the city centre of Maribor.

This was my first time in that cafe.
First time with a reason. Namely, I've never had the desire to see what's inside this cafe, because the remarkably impeccable look of the exterior delivered a different message than the one owners of this cafe anticipated I guess.
Frankly, the exterior looked too good to have any place left for some warmth and familiarity.
Excuse me? You're saying this makes no sense? Please, read on.

Anyway, once inside, my predictions came true.
The cafe is impeccable. Every detail of the interior design of the cafe (tables, chairs, paintings, lamps, cups, children's corner etc.) has been delicately chosen and placed.
Yet, the interior has no passion. No love. No warmth. No personality.

It was beautiful, but empty.

I wonder, is it so difficult (or wrong maybe?) to think about cafes as people? We like people because of their personalities, of the feelings that embrace us when around them, the warmth we feel when they send us
a Hallmark card (Hoops and Yoyo) on our wedding anniversary...
They make us FEEL. And we know exactly HOW they make us feel.

When I left the cafe that day, it made me feel EMPTY.
It did not give me something to remember it by.

So I thought, Paris (yes, I know I melt everytime I think of my Parisian life but anyway you must agree that Paris defines the true meaning of cafes, right?) would be the perfect inspiration for a newly opened cafe in Maribor. Especially for a cafe such as Velika kavarna. They have all the predispositions to become a truly
Les Deux Magots kind of cafe.

Why not learn from those who are masters of their art?
Paris is one.

And
Fonda San Miguel is one (thanks Dave).

You will understand now what I mean.

You will know how a truly customer oriented experience which builds new memories and loves should look and feel and taste like.

p.s. Hemigway wrote in his book A moveable feast:

If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a
young man, then wherever you
go for the rest of your life, it stays with
you, for Paris is a moveable feast.


Oh, and how right he is.

p.s.2 Just wondering...do your listeners FEEL empty too when they hear your radio ads? Or do you know them enough to know what their wishes, needs, desires, hopes are and tell your stories on the radio accordingly?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

si.blogs